I was at Mountain Equipment Co-op yesterday (12/23/2008) afternoon to help my beautiful wife’s organization with their Eco-Gift Wrapping Fundraising efforts. MEC, for those of you who don’t know, sells everything that has to do with enjoying the Canadian outdoors: sleeping bags, lanterns, mountain bikes, canoes, gloves, and everything else you can imagine and even more of the stuff you can’t imagine.
They also “get it”. Getting it is that thing that you do to make yourself (or your brand) a friend of your potential clients. No. It’s not the free stale coffee you offer your potential clients as they walk in the store.
Here’s how MEC “gives back” to their community:
- Free bike racks use with 24 hour CCTV surveillance. Amazing! In the middle of downtown Toronto.
- Rock climbing for kids. Where? Inside their store. Do your Christmas shopping and have the MEC staff teach your kids a thing or two about the cool sport of rock climbing.
- 10,000 square foot green roof. MEC has been in Toronto since 1988. The green roof is not a passing fad for them. It’s part of their commitement.
- Community Bulletin. Got something to sell? Interested in yoga? Post your junk or take a look to see what people are up to.
- They support Toronto Green Community!
So, if you’re looking for a gift (or something for yourself) at anytime of the year, check out MEC at King Street West just east of Spadina.